The community of NHVII launched their Youth Empowerment and Mentorship Program (YEMP) on Sunday as the community's commitment to engage the youth population within the community.
YEMP will be comprised of four distinct section but interrelated components:
- A community homework and literacy programme/centre
- Employment skills training seminars
- Mentorship and peer-to-peer empowerment programme
- Scholarship Fund
Homework and literacy programme
The community homework programme will facilitate up to 100 youth four days per week 5 hours each day. The programme will be operated by retired and volunteer teachers and housed in the New Harbour village 2 community centre. The focus areas for the homework and literacy programme will include:
In the short term (January 2016):
- ‘Home-work helpers’- The provision of individual and group assistance to complete home-work to a target population of primary, secondary students.
In the long term (2017):
- Basic literacy (reading and writing) for school drop-outs, English, Mathematics, and Computer Literacy.